Sunday, September 03, 2006

First post

So this summer I "went pro" after I quit my job on June 9th, just to hold me over until I start school again. This included a trip to Las Vegas to play in the World Series of Poker, since I won a seat into the Main Event on Full Tilt Poker. Unfortunately I did not cash in either event that I played ($1,500 NL and the $10,000 Main Event) but it was a great experience and I hope to return next year with better results. I may add another entry on my experience there.

The past week of grinding has been particularly horrible. I've been putting in roughly 6 hours a day, and managed to roughly break even. At least it's not a loss, but to play for this amount of time really IS "work" -- it's not a game anymore. And when you feel like you are working hard, you want to have something to show for it.

Because of these poor results in the limit cash games where I have primarily been making most of my money, I turned to NL tournaments in the past couple of days. Originally this was simply just for a change of pace. But it turns out that things have been going much better here, so I think I might stick with this for the remainder of my time as a "pro." Or at least for a couple more days. We'll see how it goes.

Tomorrow I am playing in Party Poker's Sunday Million. I won a satellite into this tournament, which is a $215 buy-in event. The satellite that I won was a single table, $26 buy-in tournament so I basically turned $26 into a $215 seat (except that I took multiple shots at it, but we won't talk about that). The total prize pool is guaranteed to be at least $1 million (which is why it's called the Sunday Million), and so far there are 1384 people signed up but I expect this to be much higher by go time. First prize will probably be something like $300,000 or so.

I've also won a seat into the Monster Monthly, which is another tournament with a guaranteed $1 million prize pool. That tournament takes place on September 24th, so it's still a ways away. Actually I just realized that I will be on a plane at that time (returning from Rick's wedding), so I will probably just change my entry to next month's instead, which is on October 29th.

Anyways, that's all for now but I hope to be back with some good news on the Sunday Million!

No comments:

What do you think?