Monday, September 18, 2006

Cashing in the Sunday Million

This week's Sunday Million had a total of 5015 entrants and top 750 paid, with a first prize of about $150k again. It's actually still going on right now, they are at the final table and down to 5 players. Unfortunately I'm not one of them :(

But I did last a good 5 hours or so, and came in 351st place for a prize of $601.80. Most of it was actually fairly uneventful, I even missed like my first 20 hands because I was still trying to get myself out of bed. My first big hand was with KK, we went 3-way to the flop and then I bet, got raised, I re-raised all-in and got called by a flush draw which did not hit. This put me up to about 15k chips (from a starting stack of 5k). The next big hand was again with KK a bit later, someone in front of me open-pushed for about 19k with pocket 9s, and my hand held. After that I had about 40k with the average being something like 20k.

I hovered at that point for a while though, and the average started catching up to me. We passed through the first pay level (601st-750th) which was about $300. I think somewhere in the 2nd pay level, another big hand came up when I had AQd in the small blind, it folded to the button who pushed, I thought for about 20 seconds and then called, he had 77 and I got a beautiful flop with a Q and two diamonds. The flush didn't come but I still doubled up to 86k. This lasted me through the 3rd pay level (401st-500th), I chipped away a bit as I couldn't make much happen. Then my final hand was with AK in the small blind, it folded to the button who raised to 10k (blinds 2k/4k), I shoved for about 60k, he thought for a good minute before calling with pocket 10s, which held. No regrets though, I'd push all day in that spot... it was just unfortunate that he had that good of a hand.

So this is my biggest tournament cash prize ever. My next biggest cash prize I think was in a $20 tournament, I made it to the final table in a field of like 800 entrants and cashed for like $500. Anyways, I feel good about my cash in this Sunday Million and I hope to be able to report bigger results in the future.

No comments:

What do you think?