Thursday, February 19, 2009

Another 2nd place

I seem to be pretty decent at getting 2nd place in these medium-field tournaments (this time was 90 players). And when the jump in prize money from 2nd to 1st is by more than 60% (here, from roughly $160 to $260), that's sort of an unfortunate thing to be good at. Could be bad luck, or maybe I need to practice my heads-up game and learn how to close...

Although in all honesty, I can't complain. I went into the final table like 4th in chips, and was doing fine but not awesome... figured I'd likely get like 3rd-6th or so... and then when we got down to 3-way, I was the short stack by like 20k to like 100k and 100k. Getting JJ paid off helped the come-back a bit, and I did actually gain the chiplead for a few hands, but it didn't last.

When we got to heads-up, it was against a guy whose screenname is "sleep w fishes." Now I didn't know who he was, but I looked up his stats... and they're pretty impressive. He's got a few big cashes in these $10-$20 tournaments, including two that are in the $4k-$5k range, and several 1st places in the 45-player $26 tournaments (for $410 each). I actually find it sort of incredible that with all these wins, he's still playing at the $20 level.

Anyways, my reaction while playing him was that he was making some mistakes -- I thought he was a bit TOO aggro, and also calling things a little light. But in retrospect, he may have been playing pretty solid... I may have to go back and look at the hands again to see what I can learn. With how much that he's winning, he must be doing something right...

No comments:

What do you think?