Tuesday, November 07, 2017

The People Have Spoken

Question 1: How would you describe whether class time is used effectively or not?
…and they approve of poker in the classroom!

plot of chunk bookagain

(Did you think this was going to be another political post?? :D)

About a week ago, I asked my class for midway feedback regarding how they think the course is going. I am specifically interested in how they feel about the poker aspects of the course, but I also had some general questions as well. The result above was the final question on the survey, which is a pretty good overall summary.

But here are the rest of the results, with a total of n=16.



Question 1: How would you describe whether class time is used effectively or not?

plot of chunk time



Question 2: How would you rate whether assignments and projects are designed to support the course's learning goals?

plot of chunk assignments



Question 3: Overall, how would you describe whether you think the use of poker has been beneficial to your learning of the material?

plot of chunk beneficial



Question 4: Overall, on a scale of 0 to 5, how much do you enjoy our usage of poker examples in the classroom as compared to any other types of examples that could be used? (0=no enjoyment, 5=most enjoyment)

plot of chunk enjoy



Question 5: Overall, on a scale of 0 to 5, how much interest in poker did you have at the beginning of the course? (with 0=no interest, 5=most interest)

plot of chunk interestpre



Question 6: Overall, on a scale of 0 to 5, how much interest do you currently have in poker? (again with 0=no interest, 5=most interest)

plot of chunk interestpost

For these last two questions, I can take the difference at the student level, to look at the distribution of that difference. Here it is:

plot of chunk diff

So, no one's interest in poker has gone down since the start of the semester, which is not much of a surprise (but is nice to know). Also, of the three students who had a 0 difference, their interest at the beginning of the course was already at a 5, and remained at 5.

One student even went from a 0 to a 5! The data are anonymous, but I wish I knew who that was!

Overall, my takeaway is that my students are generally happy about using poker as a pedagogical platform for this course, and feel that it is at least somewhat beneficial to their learning of the material. So that's great news! I can continue as planned, and will likely use this book again the next time that I get to teach this course. Woohoo!

Side note: this is the first blog post that I have created using RMarkdown! I had to do some css stuff on the blogger side to make it work, but I think it all worked out in the end. And since I'm on blogger, it's not quite as seamless as using blogdown, but it's still pretty nice.

Next up: We did a fun activity with continuous uniform random variables that I teased here, and I think it went pretty well. We're still working our way through the theoretical aspects of it but I'll write about that in the next post.

No comments:

What do you think?