Friday, March 27, 2009

Postponing the move up

I hit $50 last night on PokerStars, which is when I would move up to 5c/10c under the rules of Daniel Negreanu's challenge. However, 500 big blinds is a bit on the small side as far as conventional bankroll management wisdom goes.

Therefore, I've decided to delay the jump up to 5c/10c until I hit $100 so that I start it with 1000 big blinds. I may take the occasional shot at it before then though just depending on how I feel on any given night.

It took me about 1400 hands to get from $25 to $50, and it took DN only 252 hands which is just sick. However, it looks like his next step is taking him quite a bit longer because he's been at 5c/10c since then, and in a recent update that I just found he says that he has crossed the $100 mark but has yet to move up to the next level, 10c/25c. So now is my chance to catch up!!

On a slight side-note, there's been some comments from various writers online about this that are just flat out wrong and sometimes stupid. Let me point a couple of them out now.

Exhibit A: Here the author states, "At a certain point he will reach a level he can no longer beat. Judging by his inability to laydown top pair on High Stakes Poker, it is likely that level will be about $1/$2 or $2/$4 in todays games." There's so many reasons why this is a stupid comment. The guy is making this assessment based on a bunch of hands he saw on TV. He has little if any idea about the context of those hands, and I can guarantee you that Daniel was thinking about so many things in each of those hands that this guy would never have thought of nor perhaps even understand.

ok. next one.

Exhibit B: This one basically has the opposite problem, with the idea that Daniel's road will get easier as he moves up in stakes because of the "ridiculous" play at micro stakes, where players "are almost always going to call you down to the river, and pushing opponents out of pots is practically impossible." yeah, you sir just described the easiest games in the world to beat, and you're also speaking as if Daniel would not know how to adapt to these conditions even if he is too used to playing at high stakes where his full arsenal of weapons should be used.

Let me finish this off by saying that I don't want to glorify DN as some sort of poker deity or anything like that at all. I do think he is one of the best in the world today, and this is based on his record and some of his thoughts that I have read or listened too. Even his record is a dangerous metric to judge him on because anything can happen in the short run, but he has put up great numbers year after year that it would be hard to argue against this. But the way that he thinks about the game (as evident in his writings) is what impresses me more.

All that being said... Negreanu, I'm gonna whup your butt to $10,000. After that is unknown territory for me and I'll make no claims about that, but we will see.

No comments:

What do you think?