Tuesday, October 10, 2017

What to do About Variance

Poker players tend to have a reasonable understanding of variance. We understand that if we put all our money in with the best hand at any point before the river, we still might not win. We also understand that it takes extremely large sample sizes to demonstrate anything meaningful about whether you are a winning player or not. Because variance.

As such, I initially thought that Variance would be one of the topics in my course that would be quite natural to teach with a poker framework in place. Unfortunately, it's been a bit of a challenge.

This came up on my taping of the Thinking Poker Podcast last week (the episode is still under production but I think it should be up soon). Co-host Nate suggested, somewhat in jest, that I could have my students look at the variance of their quiz/exam scores to get an idea of how their performance correlates (or doesn't) to their actual understanding of the material. Fun and interesting idea for sure, but unfortunately not something that would serve the mission of my present course.

The crux of the problem lies in the fact that this is a Probability Theory course, not an Applied Data Analysis course. If we were doing data analysis, there would be lots of things we could do with poker. For example, we could take a series of 10,000 hands from my PokerTracker database, let the quantity of interest be my winnings/losings on each hand, and calculate the sample variance. We would notice that it's huge and we could talk about what that means, such as the fact that even 10,000 hands might not be enough to claim statistically significant evidence that I am a winning player (I'm actually working on making a lab for a different class where we'll do exactly that).

But, in this class, we aren't dealing with sample variance; we are just learning about theoretical variance. The one defined as:

$$ Var(X) = \sigma^2 = \sum_{\text{all } x} (x-\mu)^2 \cdot P(X=x) $$

(I know that to some of you, this means nothing; others of you I'm sure could've written that equation down from memory yourself...)

Now, in order to say anything about the theoretical variance, you need to know the theoretical distribution of the quantity that you are talking about. To be sure, we can easily talk about the theoretical variance of an outcome from a single hand, and we have indeed done this. For example, suppose you're playing heads up and you're all-in for $100, where:

  • You have K♠ 9♠
  • Your opponent has A♥ 6♣
  • And the board is A♣ J♠ 7♠ 5♥

So we're on the turn with one card to come, holding a spade flush draw and no other possibility for winning (a King or 9 gives you a pair, but not one that is better than your opponent's pair of aces).

Thus you will win if and only if the river is any spade, giving you 9 outs and therefore a 9/44 chance of winning. Let \(X\) represent the amount of money that you will have at the end of the hand. Your opponent has also put in $100, so at the end of the hand, \(X\) is either going to be $0 or $200. At this point of the hand, your expected value is:

$$ E(X) = \$200 \cdot (9/44) + 0 \cdot (35/44) \approx \$40.91 $$ and your variance is: $$ Var(X) = (\$200-\$40.91)^2 \cdot (9/44) + (\$0 - \$40.91)^2 \cdot (35/44) \approx \$6508.264 $$

So, that looks big. But what does it really mean? And, how do I instill in my students any understanding of either what it means or how it is useful to us?

In the process of writing this post, I actually came up with a few ideas, so I'm really happy about how laying my thoughts out here has helped me in that manner. But let me end this here and see if any of you have any suggestions. I welcome any and all comments below.

On another brief note, our topic after Variance was the Markov Inequality and Chebyshev Inquality. Although it's hard for me to remember why at this point, I do remember that these were ideas that I simply could not understand as an undergraduate. So I tried to devise an activity that walked through it all in bite size pieces. I'm pretty proud of what I came up with, so here it is. I welcome any comments and critiques on that as well.

And here's a picture of my boardwork from class illustrating an example from our textbook:




Next up: The kids have their first exam this Friday. Fall Break is next week, but I'll still try to get a post up.

4 comments:

  1. Peter, I had two ideas for you on this. Not sure if it's exactly what you want but I'll give it a shot. The first is to represent variance as short-term excitement of the game or volatility. You could compare the variance of an expert player versus a novice player like myself who sometimes gets carried away with the game and doesn't think about optimal strategies. It would be a great opportunity to throw in some behavioral psychology as well in terms of what type of player each person is and maybe calculate their own variance from a set of hypothetical games or something through simulation. The other option is to consider playing a heads up game against two different types of opponents and using that to calculate variance and see whether your play might change based on whether the other person is a strong player or weak player. I have not flesh either of these out at all so they may not work for you but I thought I would share some ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooh, love it! Great ideas -- the only question is how to implement, will definitely chew on it.

    And your thinking is consistent with the ideas I've been come up with in the sense that, the best way to get students an understanding of variance is to make COMPARISONS. i.e. in my example above, the variance of $6508.264 means little-to-nothing on its own, especially to a student who is new to the idea.

    But, I think it can be illuminating to compare this to a higher or lower variance situation, and discuss how that might affect your decisions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Peter,
    I've often used gambling examples at this point of such a course, using an easy-to-compute example like a single game of roulette to illustrate relatively low variance, and a harder-to-compute example like a lottery (i.e. Powerball or similar) to illustrate very high variance.

    Since you are using all poker examples, maybe you could use the pay-out structure for a 10 player SNG (50%/30%/20%) and the pay-out structure for a large field MTT (such as a main event), maybe simplifying by assuming the player has an equal probability to finish in each place. I might make the SNG rake-free (such as a $10 or $20 home game tournament among friends) versus the typical tournament fee withheld in a live MTT.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice, I really like that idea Chris. And yeah, I think making it rake-free is a good simplifying assumption.

    ReplyDelete